Buckhead Post-Divorce Disputes Lawyer

While a divorce decree can represent a new chapter in your life, certain issues may linger between former spouses. This is particularly true if the two of you share a child. Both parties likely have obligations that persist following the dissolution of the marriage, and these obligations can result in disputes.

If you are facing challenges with a former spouse, you might benefit from the guidance of a compassionate divorce attorney. Tools are available to address these issues, and a Buckhead post-divorce disputes lawyer can advise you of your options.

Common Post-Divorce Disputes

Following the end of a marriage, there are numerous issues that can crop up over time. For instance, if a parent plans to relocate out of state, they will likely face resistance from their co-parent. In these cases, it is necessary to take legal action to modify the child custody arrangement.

Another common scenario involves an ex-spouse who refuses to comply with the court-ordered visitation schedule. This can involve refusing to return a child from a visit or showing up late to pick the child up.

Many disputes are also centered on child support obligations. The failure to make these payments on time can result in serious conflict. This is true whether the refusal is intentional and malicious or if it results from the other parent losing their primary source of income. A post-divorce disputes attorney in Buckhead can carefully examine these issues before advising on a course of action.

Seeking to Modify the Divorce Decree

Circumstances change, especially as children grow up. What was once a reasonable parenting plan or child support agreement could eventually become unfair or unreasonable. There are times when the only answer to a post-divorce dispute is a change to the terms of the decree with the help of a Buckhead attorney.

Modifying the final decree is possible, depending on the circumstances. When it comes to matters relating to minor children, the judge is bound by what is in the child’s best interests. They will consider any request to modify the terms of child support or visitation on that basis alone.

The law is written to avoid constant requests for changes to the decree. For example, in matters of spousal support, a party must show that there have been material changes in their circumstances if it has been less than two years since the last change to the order.

Filing a Motion for Contempt

When a former spouse refuses to follow the terms of the divorce decree, a motion for contempt of court may be appropriate. This is the most drastic measure available to a family law judge. Before our attorneys file a motion to find contempt, they will typically attempt to resolve any post-divorce disputes amicably. It is possible that the failure to comply with the decree is an honest mistake. There are also circumstances where the other party can be convinced to comply with the terms of the agreement based on fear of the consequences.

When the court determines an ex-partner is in contempt, they can face a range of penalties, including:

  • Fines;
  • Jail time;
  • Attorney’s fees;
  • Changes to the divorce decree; and
  • Mandatory compliance with certain orders.

Contempt findings are reserved for situations where a party refuses to comply with a court order. A Buckhead post-divorce disputes attorney can evaluate when a contempt motion might be the right move.

Call a Post-Divorce Disputes Attorney in Buckhead Today

When you are having issues with an ex-spouse, the law provides tools for resolving those disputes. Thankfully, you do not have to deal with this conflict on your own.

Let a Buckhead post-divorce disputes lawyer help you navigate the family court system and resolve the issues with your former spouse. Call today for your private consultation.

Recent Blog Posts
Navigating Divorce as the Breadwinner
If you are getting divorced and you are the primary breadwinner for your family, you are probably worried about...
How Long After Filing for Divorce Is the Spouse Served?
Once you have decided to get a divorce, you might be anxious to get it over with. It can...
Does Georgia Recognize Common Law Marriage?
Couples sometimes decide to make a life together but never formalize it with a marriage. In the past, long-term...
View All Posts