What Should I Do if My Ex Was Laid Off and Can’t Pay Child Support?

COVID-19 is impacting millions of families in many aspects of their lives. Many individuals are losing their jobs and, as a result, are filing for unemployment. Because of the current pandemic, people want to know what they can do if their co-parent is out of work and unable to financially contribute to raising their kids.

If you are wondering what you should do if your ex was laid off and can’t pay child support, you have several options. For instance, you could report your co-parent for not following a mandated order. As a result, they may face consequences such as being held in contempt of court or having their driver’s license suspended.

Filing a Motion

If you have a court order directing your child’s other parent to pay support, you can file a motion for contempt asking the court to bring additional orders of enforcement. If the court deems that the non-paying parent is in contempt, they will be issued fines and may even face jail time.

Contacting the Division of Child Support Services

You can inform the Division of Child Support Services of the Georgia Department of Human Services (DCSS) by filing a child support complaint. Afterward, the DCSS will initiate enforcement proceedings to look for evidence relating to the “ability and willingness” of the parent to pay child support. Based on this determination, an order may be entered to make your ex uphold your child support agreement.

Modifying Child Support Order

Georgia law allows you to file a petition to modify your child support plan. If your ex informs you that they were laid off, you can have the court review your child support plan. You and your ex can meet with a judge virtually to determine the amount of child support you are owed.

Contact a Child Support Attorney Today

If you or somebody that you love are not receiving the child support that you are entitled to from a court order, you may have a case to obtain all the money that you are owed.

Child support can be a confusing process, so you may find it helpful to consult with an experienced family law attorney from our firm. The legal team at the Atlanta Divorce Law Group is compassionate and has the resources to aid you with this complicated process. Call us today to learn more about what you can do if your ex was laid off and can’t pay child support.

Click Here for a Consultation
Recent Blog Posts
Do You Know Your Parents’ Stories?
3 Tips for Preserving Family History This Grandparents Day In many Native American tribes, it’s traditional to gather and...
From a Scatterbrained Summer to an Orderly School Year
Hacks to Get Your Kids Organized Summer break (especially for young kiddos) is a lawless time with little meaning...
Better Together – Appreciating Those around You
The American labor market is in a weird place right now. It seems like every time I turn on...
View All Posts

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
3560 Old Milton Parkway,
Alpharetta GA 30005

Buckhead Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
3355 Lenox Road,
Suite 750

Atlanta GA 30326

By Appointment Only
Marietta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
533 Johnson Ferry Rd
Suite D-450

Marietta GA 30068

By Appointment Only
Suwanee Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
593 Main St,
Suite B,

Suwanee GA 30024

By Appointment Only