What to Do if Your Economic Impact Payment is Missing

tax documents sitting on table in front of mug
May 14, 2021 | Sara Khaki

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have become eligible for Economic Impact Payments (EIP) through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you did not receive your most recent round of EIP in April, or any previous round of EIP, continue reading for more information on what you can do to claim them.

Who is Qualified to Receive EIP?

You are considered eligible for EIP, also known as stimulus checks, if you have a valid Social Security Number, filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 as an independent, and earn less than $99,000 per year (less than $198,000 for married couples). Most qualifying US citizens were automatically enrolled to receive stimulus checks through direct deposit, but if your bank information is not in the IRS database, you may have received a paper check in the mail from the IRS. If you have a missing EIP, you should first check your mail to see if you have a physical check from the IRS instead of an online deposit.

How to Claim a Missing EIP

If you are a Social Security beneficiary or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipient, you should have received at least three rounds of EIP by this point, whether through direct deposit or a check in the mail. If your first or second EIP is missing, you must file a 2020 tax return with the IRS and claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) as soon as possible.

Even if you have no income to report for 2020, you need to file a 2020 tax return. After this tax return is processed, the IRS will pay the RRC as a tax refund. For your third round of EIP, the IRS will send you any amount you are eligible to receive in 2021 separately. If you have already filed a 2020 tax return, you do not need to do anything else.

Ask an Attorney about what to Do if Your EIP is Missing

If you have followed these instructions and are still missing your EIP, you should consider speaking with one of our experienced disability representatives. Our advocates for the disabled can help you claim benefits from Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, and Veterans’ Social Security. If you fall under one of these categories or want to learn more about your rights relating to tax returns or disability benefits, contact our Social Security disability firm today to have your questions answered.

Click Here for a Consultation
Recent Blog Posts
What Is Parental Alienation?
When parents live apart, sometimes one person holds a grudge or becomes bitter about the relationship. Unfortunately, when parents...
Is Georgia a Community Property State?
People considering divorce often worry about how dissolving the marriage will impact them financially. The specifics depend on how...
How Long Does Divorce Take in Georgia?
When you are ready to end your marriage, you might want your divorce to be final as quickly as...
View All Posts

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

Sara Khaki
Our Locations