Family dynamics can change as children grow, so your current child custody agreement may no longer meet the needs of your children. If so, you have the right to request that your agreement be changed in accordance with any material changes to your family.

If you or your children have developed a need for a modified child-sharing plan, our team of seasoned child custody attorneys can help you file a motion with the court. A Sandy Springs child custody modification lawyer can assist you in obtaining an order that works for your family.

What is the Role of a Child’s Best Interests in Custody Modifications?

Under Official Code of Georgia §19-9-3(b), parents may seek a modification to their current child custody order once every two years when there has been a material change in circumstances. Parents who want to petition the court for a modified parenting plan should speak with lawyer in Sandy Springs who can file a request for a new child custody order on their behalf.

Just as parents are asked to create their own parenting plan during divorce proceedings, they may be requested to do so for custody modifications as well. A judge would evaluate whether a proposed implementation would be in the best interests of the children by examining their ages and developmental needs, per O.C.G.A. §15-11-26. If a child custody order is to be modified, it should ensure that the kids receive love and bonding time with both parents when circumstances allow it.

Custody Modifications by Children

Sandy Springs courts may allow kids to start making decisions about their living situations if they are mature enough to do so. Fortunately, a skilled Sandy Springs child custody modification attorney would be well-versed in such matters.

Modifying Child Custody for Middle School Students

Once children reach their 11th birthday, they may start to participate in custody proceedings. Although children aged 11 to 13 are too young to request a permanent placement with a parent, they may ask for a temporary custody order. Specifically, they can indicate to Sandy Springs courts which parent they would prefer to live with, and a judge can order that placement for a period of six months before reviewing the decision at the end of the half-year period.

Can Children Aged 14 and Older Make Custody Requests in Sandy Springs?

O.C.G.A. §19-9-3(a)(5) allows children aged 14 and older to communicate to a local court which parent they want to live with, but the courts can dismiss such decisions if they do not reflect the children’s best interests. Kids ages 14 and up may request to alter their primary living situation once every two years, but there must have been a material change in circumstances before a judge can make modifications to their custody order.

Call a Sandy Springs Child Custody Modification Attorney Today

If you would like to have your court-ordered child custody plan changed because of a material change in family life, a dedicated Sandy Springs child custody modification lawyer can help. Contact our team today for assistance completing the required forms and constructing a new parenting plan that meets your unique circumstances and needs.

Recent Blog Posts
Atlanta Divorce Law Group Wins Best Divorce Attorney for 2022
ALPHARETTA, Georgia – Sara Khaki, Attorney and Founding Partner of Atlanta Divorce Law Group, Happily Ever After Divorce®, announces...
Divorce Attorney Allen Russell Wins Best Attorney in 2022 Best of Buckhead
ALPHARETTA, Georgia — Atlanta Divorce Law Group announces that Divorce and Family Law Attorney and Partner Allen Russell has...
Can I Get a Divorce in Georgia if I Was Married in Another State?
It is not uncommon for couples or families to relocate throughout the years. If you were married in another...
View All Posts

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
3560 Old Milton Parkway,
Alpharetta GA 30005

Buckhead Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

3355 Lenox Road,
Suite 750

Atlanta GA 30326

By Appointment Only
Marietta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

533 Johnson Ferry Rd
Suite D-450

Marietta GA 30068

By Appointment Only
Suwanee Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

593 Main St,
Suite B,

Suwanee GA 30024

By Appointment Only
Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

5755 North Point Pkwy
Suite 206

Alpharetta GA 30022