Whenever a court must make a decision that will affect the life of a child, the judge is required to act in that child’s best interests. This is especially true when parents request formal changes to their child-sharing agreements before a family court.

Forsyth County courts may allow a change of custody if you can show that your circumstances have changed substantially and subsequently affect your children’s wellbeing. Call our team of qualified lawyers to learn more about how to prepare for a Forsyth County child custody modification.

Types of Child Custody

A judge can award a parent sole custody of their children, shared physical custody, or shared legal custody. Georgia law presumes that parents will work together and split custody relatively evenly unless there is a compelling reason for them not to do so.

Child custody is different from time-sharing or visitation in that it gives a parent legal rights and responsibilities for their children, whereas the latter two terms refer to how parents split their time with their children. Parents can independently decide to change their visitation time, but they cannot make formal changes to legal or physical child custody in Forsyth County without approval from a judge.

When a parent has physical custody of their children, it means that they control most of their kids’ daily lives. For example, children spend more time with their custodial parent, and the custodial parent’s address may be their permanent residence for documentary needs.

In contrast, legal custody gives a parent the right to make or weigh in on important decisions in their children’s lives. Parents who share legal custody must consult with each other when making important decisions that might affect their children’s health, education, or general welfare.

Modifying Child Custody

When a parent wants to change who is entitled to legal or physical custody of their kids, they must file a motion with a local family court. A Forsyth County judge’s decision to grant parenting plan modifications would be based on whether there has been a material change in circumstances that affects the welfare of the children in question, such as a parent taking a new job or evidence of abuse or neglect.

Parents can apply for a modification of child custody two years after the date of their initial order, as well as once every two years thereafter. Exceptions to the two-year limit may be granted if, for example, a custodial parent is not following their visitation plan or a parent involuntarily loses their job and cannot afford custody. In general, however, the statute is meant to prohibit parents from changing custody frequently without substantial justification, as per Official Code of Georgia §19-9-3.

A judge must weigh a material change in circumstances in addition to the rights of the other parent and the best interests of the children. While such a change does not automatically warrant a parenting plan modification, a judge in Forsyth County cannot grant formal changes to child-sharing agreements without a material change in the circumstances of one or both parents.

Contact an Attorney for More Information on Child Custody Modification in Forsyth County

Modifying a parenting plan can be difficult and complicated, and you may need professional help from a seasoned attorney to convince a judge that a formal change is necessary. Get the help you need to change your child-sharing arrangement by calling our team and learning more about Forsyth County child custody modifications.

Recent Blog Posts
Atlanta Divorce Law Group Wins Best Divorce Attorney for 2022
ALPHARETTA, Georgia – Sara Khaki, Attorney and Founding Partner of Atlanta Divorce Law Group, Happily Ever After Divorce®, announces...
Divorce Attorney Allen Russell Wins Best Attorney in 2022 Best of Buckhead
ALPHARETTA, Georgia — Atlanta Divorce Law Group announces that Divorce and Family Law Attorney and Partner Allen Russell has...
Can I Get a Divorce in Georgia if I Was Married in Another State?
It is not uncommon for couples or families to relocate throughout the years. If you were married in another...
View All Posts

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
3560 Old Milton Parkway,
Alpharetta GA 30005

Buckhead Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

3355 Lenox Road,
Suite 750

Atlanta GA 30326

By Appointment Only
Marietta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

533 Johnson Ferry Rd
Suite D-450

Marietta GA 30068

By Appointment Only
Suwanee Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

593 Main St,
Suite B,

Suwanee GA 30024

By Appointment Only
Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

5755 North Point Pkwy
Suite 206

Alpharetta GA 30022