The primary purpose of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is to provide financial support to individuals who contributed to Social Security through income taxes and subsequently became disabled after working for several years. While individuals under the age of 22 cannot qualify directly for SSDI benefits due to their lack of work credits, they can receive these benefits through their parents under certain circumstances.

Applications for Social Security disability benefits can be complex, even for adults to manage on their own behalf, so you should strongly consider getting a knowledgeable disability attorney’s help if you want to receive benefits for your disabled child. A knowledgeable Forsyth County children’s SSDI lawyer at our firm can walk you through each stage of the application process and maximize your chances of success.

Getting “Child” Benefits through SSDI

Individuals who become disabled according to the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) standards before the age of 22 are eligible to receive SSDI benefits based on their parent or parents’ earning record(s). Similar to SSDI claims for disabled adults, a medically identifiable impairment of a physical or mental nature that prevents substantially gainful activity and which is expected to last for at least 12 months or directly result in the child’s premature death may qualify for disability benefits under Code of Federal Regulations §404.1505.

Parents may apply for SSDI on behalf of a disabled child under the age of 18 based on their own employment record, and that child may continue receiving benefits after turning 18 if they remain substantially disabled. For a disabled adult to start receiving “child” SSDI benefits after turning 18, though, their parent(s) must either already be receiving retirement and/or disability benefits through Social Security, or have passed away after earning enough work credits to qualify for SSDI coverage themselves. A Forsyth County attorney could offer more insight on the criteria that may apply to children’s SSDI benefits.

Applying for SSDI on a Child’s Behalf

Parents or guardians in Forsyth County who want to apply for Social Security benefits on behalf of a disabled child must file a standard SSDI application for that child as well as a Child Disability Report. This report should include medical documentation and as much additional evidence as possible detailing the extent of the child’s disability and the degree to which it impairs their daily function and ability to hold gainful employment.

Specifically, parents seeking children’s SSDI benefits should be prepared to provide their own Social Security number – or that of the child’s now-deceased parent(s) – as well as the child’s birth certificate and Social Security number. It can also be advantageous to provide a record of doctor visits, patient account numbers, copies of medical reports, and a comprehensive summary of the child’s condition.

Seek Help from a Forsyth County Children’s SSDI Attorney

Even though SSDI benefits are technically available for children who become disabled at a young age, obtaining them can be tricky and often requires parents to qualify for SSDI based on their own career earnings and work credits. Fortunately, help is available from dedicated legal professionals who have experience assisting families like yours with this complicated process.

A Forsyth County children’s SSDI lawyer could advise you on how to protect your family’s interests from start to finish of your application, as well as help contest a claim denial if necessary. Call our team of disability advocates to learn more.

Recent Blog Posts
How New Developments in Same-Sex Marriage Laws May Affect Social Security Disability Benefits & Eligibility
Recent changes in same-sex marriage laws may also have an implication on Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income...
Veterans Seeking Social Security Disability Benefits: Honoring You on 4th of July
On this 4th of July, the birth of our Nation, we want to dedicate our blog post to our...
Retired and Disabled? Applying for Disability While on Early Retirement
Can I apply for Social Security Disability Benefits while receiving early retirement? The quick answer to this is yes....
View All Posts

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group
3560 Old Milton Parkway,
Alpharetta GA 30005

Buckhead Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

3355 Lenox Road,
Suite 750

Atlanta GA 30326

By Appointment Only
Marietta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

533 Johnson Ferry Rd
Suite D-450

Marietta GA 30068

By Appointment Only
Suwanee Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

593 Main St,
Suite B,

Suwanee GA 30024

By Appointment Only
Alpharetta Office

Atlanta Divorce Law Group

5755 North Point Pkwy
Suite 206

Alpharetta GA 30022